Your reputation take years to build but can be destroyed in seconds.
We have acted for many famous clients but it’s not just famous names that become victims of defamation. Any company or individual can find themselves in a position where they need to vigorously protect their reputations.
Defamation is the broad expression for both libel and slander. A defamatory statement is one that is likely to make people think worse of an individual or business or exposes them to hatred ridicule or contempt.
When the defamation is in writing, pictures or a permanent medium it becomes a libel but if spoken, conduct or gesture, it is slander.
The Defamation Act 2013 sets out a number defences against Defamation:
- Honest Opinion
- Publication on a Matter of Public Interest
- A limited defence for Website Operators where offending User Generated Content is posted on their site
- A limited defence for publication in a Peer Reviewed Journal
- Absolute and Qualified Privilege
Defamation cases can be expensive to contest or defend so we pride ourselves on offering value for money giving clear guidance on your full range of options and the likely cost implications of each route.
If you need advice on:
- whether material is defamatory
- whether there are grounds for action for libel or slander
- Pursing damage claims for defamation
- Preventing stories from being published or broadcast
- Defending claims for libel and slander
- Online defamation
Then please Contact Us for more information.